Cartoonist Ahmed Kabir Kishore was released from Kashimpur High Security Jail after securing bail from the High Court in a Digital Security Act case. His friends and relatives were waiting outside to receive him when he walked out of the prison in Gazipur. He did not speak to the media. The High Court granted him six-month bail on Wednesday amid protests over the death of his co-accused, writer Mushtaq Ahmed, in jail on Feb 25. The protesters are demanding repeal of the Digital Security Act.

Mushtaq and Kishore had been denied bail several times. They were charged with propagating disinformation against the government on social media. Through Ahsan Kabir, Kishore's elder brother, it was learned that Kishore has been admitted to a hospital straight from jail. Kishore has problems in his ears, left leg and eyes, said Ahsan. The cartoonist, a diabetic, did not have the problems before his arrest, according to the brother.

An application seeking waiver of BNP Chairperson Khaleda Zia's punishment and extending the stay on her sentence has been sent to the Law Ministry, according to Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan. It will be sent back to the Home Ministry after getting the opinion of the Law Ministry before it is forwarded to Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina," he told journalists at the Secretariat.

Khaleda Zia's brother Shamim Iskandar filed the appeal this week seeking an extension on the stay of the thrice former prime minister, in which he also asked for her punishment to be waived. Some relaxation of the conditions placed on Khaleda as part of her release from prison were also sought. The BNP chairperson was found guilty in two corruption cases in 2018. Her party claims both cases are politically motivated. Amid the coronavirus outbreak, the government freed Khaleda Zia from jail for six months through an executive order suspending her sentences on 25 March last year.

One of the main suspects in the murder in Libya of 30 mostly Bangladeshi migrants last year was arrested this nweek, authorities in Tripoli said. In May 2020, the family of a human trafficker killed by migrants for unknown reasons allegedly avenged his death by killing 26 Bangladeshis and four migrants of African origin. The massacre took place in May in the city of Mezdah, more than 150 kilometres (just over 90 miles) south of Libya's capital. Eleven other migrants were wounded.

One of the alleged killers, 23, was arrested Monday in Gharyan, around 100 kilometres southwest of the capital, the unity government's interior ministry said in a statement. Wanted by the authorities, "he confessed his crime" under questioning, the ministry said, without revealing his identity. "The arrest of the main suspect is a major victory," said Interior Minister Fathi Bashagha, calling it "proof" that such crimes could not be committed with impunity in Libya.

The superintendent of Chattogram Central Jail, its jailer, the assistant surgeon of the jail hospital, and one civilian were sued for allegedly torturing a prisoner inside the jail, including attempts to poison him. Victim Rupam Kanti Nath is now undergoing treatment at Chattogram Medical College Hospital (CMCH). The civilian sued in the case is Ratan Bhattachariya, who used to be Rupam's business partner, but filed the case accusing Rupam that landed him in jail last December.

Ratan is now trying to orchestrate a false case by coercing a confession out of Rupam, and induced the jail authorities to torture him to that end, according to the case statement filed by Rupam's wife. This was after she met with her husband at the CMCH where she found injury marks on his body and learned about the torture, said the lawyer. Taking the case into cognizance, the court ordered the Police Bureau of Investigation (PBI) to investigate the allegations and submit a report.

Leave a Comment

Recent Posts